Sunday 19 June 2011

GOODBYE BIG MAN

Sunday. The day after a rather heavy night and i awoke to sad news.
GOODBYE BIG MAN.
So sad to here of the passing of THE BIG MAN himself MR CLARENCE CLEMONS, saxophone player of The E Street Band. As a young man growing with music his playing became part of my dreamline and is etched into my memory. It feels like losing a friend. His solo at the end of JUNGLELAND by Bruce Springsteen moves me so much and still gives me goosebumps every time i hear it. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81wv_w6_Z8M&feature=related
Click above for a fitting introduction of THE BIG MAN, God Bless Him
The sound of Clarence and Bruce Springsteen from the era of 'The River' in particular is very close to my heart. At a time when i was confused, vulnerable and didn't have any direction, this music was the equivalent of someone reaching down into a dark hole and pulling me out into the light. Hungry Heart would fill me with energy and confidence and send me out into the world with hope. Wow! The power of music at certain stages in life is immense. A beautiful gift! As i said above, the solo at the end of jungleland fills me with something i can't explain. An aching sense of sharing the depths of human feeling. Unfashionable as it may be to the cutting edge crew, this music has touched many many people in a positive and powerful way and Clarence and the unique brotherly bond with Bruce had a massive part to play in all of that.
GOODBYE BIG MAN and GOD BLESS YOU

No comments:

Post a Comment